Re: [LUG] Ogg player (hardware)

Henry Bremridge wrote:

> Question
>
> -   Can anyone recommend a player: was thinking of iriver?
> -   How does one connect the player to debian?
>  Mount the player and move the files across.? If so what is the file
type: vfat?

Last time I took soundings COWON came out well. They do a selection of
media players, not cheap, but well made, and all support OGG as far as I
know. I haven't looked too closely at the free software issues, but the
A2 uses some free software.

Most music players mount as VFAT filesystems under Debian. So with
something like GNOME you plug it in via USB, and it is mounted
automatically, and you either drag and drop, or use a program to sort
out the music collection.

Faye seems happy enough with hers, but I don't think she is demanding of
the technology. Most of her music is pre-loaded, and she doesn't change
it much. Since then flash storage has got bigger and cheaper. She did
switch the headphones, not because of quality (it sounded great), but
because the headphones kept falling out of her ears - guess that depends
on the size and shape of ones ears.

Only "gotcha" I found was you have to change the mount options to use
the right code page, if you want file names with spaces in by default on
Debian with the player Faye got. I just renamed the couple of music
files in question (life is too short sometimes), but it isn't
challenging, and one can do it so it recognises each device and uses the
right options per device.

I'd say find the music/media player that seems right, and come back with
the "will this one work" question....