Re: [LUG] battery powerered hubs

Paul Sutton wrote:
> marcus turner wrote:
>>> Seems sensible, no doubt we could setup an AP in a similar way..?
>> I have a spare cable router that could be used as an ap for this
>> project. It runs on 4.5v, 1.5A
> I have a few voltage regulator chips,  if anyone has any circuit solder
> boards (the pre drilled boards with  tracks,) and a soldering iron, you
> may be able to come up with something,  mini power  unit for example.

Hi,

Bit late in the discussion but...

Any idea of what you want to use as a power source? This is always a
PITA, Probably a 6v *sealed* lead acid  (eg gel battery) is as close to
optimum as you would get.

If you use a good old 12v you have to loose 12-4.5v = 7.5v across your
regulator and at 1.5A that is 7.5*1.5 = the best part of 12W as pure
waste and although you can stick a big heat sink on its not a great
solution. if you need more that one hub then the power wasted gets stupid.

A more optimal solution to the voltage conversion is a DC-DC converter,
although more expensive the efficiency is MUCH higher that a regulator
solution.

Also bear in mind that standard 12v lead acid, although cheap and easy
to get from scrap yard etc, they don't like being used in this way
particularly. You can't deep cycle them and you can only draw off 25%
capacity before you reach the magic 12.4v threshold and irreversible
sulfication begins. If you can keep them topped up all the time then
they are fine. The alternative is gel batteries, as mentioned, (sealed
lead acid) which are designed to be deep cycled (as used in UPS's and
other backup equipment) but expensive by comparison but are also
available in 12v or 6v.

Anyway if anyone does start building something and needs some help with
electronics let me know.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk