[LUG] Internet Relay Chat

Following a number of questions regarding IRC I have decided to post
some information

Internet Relay chat is a system of servers that can be connected to via
client software that allow real time chat with other users.  To connect
you generally need a client,  for Linux there are various options
available.

One popular example is xchat,

(please see my website (www.zleap.net) for more details as I have put a
section on irc, plus a how to get connected with xchat.)

Once this is installed you can connect to the lug irc server which is
hosted by Neil Stone (Flash)

irc.flashtek-uk.com,   port 6667 or if using ssl 6697

channel name is #dclug

you can also connect via

irc.phractured.net : port 6667,  phractued also have a web based front
end to the chat channel at
www.phractured.net  again connecting to #dclug will get you into the
same channel.

the web interface is good as once your in we can try and help you get
set up with client software. (it may however be a little slow)

In irc,  eash user has a nick name, (hence the term nick),   on the
rigth hand side there is a list of users in the channel, with indicators
of thier channel status

owner
operator
1/2 operator
voice
none

each of the above gives users priveledges, etc,   to get voice, you need
to register with nickserv,   however this is just a case of registering
your nick with the server and a password so you can authenticate your
self (xchat can be set up to do this automatically)

Hope this is helpful

channel is usually quite active around 6 - 10 in the evening.  the more
active the channel the better really,

Paul