Re: [LUG] OT: Wind Turbines [WAS: Data Centres]

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 20:26, Simon Williams wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > Simon Williams wrote:
> >> Wind farms are negative energy. They cost far more in energy to build
> >> and maintain than they will ever produce in their lifetime.
> >
> > I don't think that is correct.
> >
> > Flour used to be produced by them, and machines run.
>
> Fine for motion, but like solar panels, trying to generate electricity
> efficiently becomes an issue. Usually the chemicals required to do so
> are enough to outweigh any environmental savings, and these turbines
> spin faster and are much bigger than mills.
I seem to remember wooden props on Spitfires going round pretty fast.
Vegetable lubricants are actually better than mineral ones!
> Then there is all that's required to get such a volatile supply of
> electricity onto the national grid.
Its a lot less that you'll find in your computer power supply!
The trouble is if it catches on anyone can do it.
The beauty of nuclear power is its quite dangerous and a major security risk
and so only a few favoured companies will be allowed to do it so there is the
opportunity for massive profits. Massive profits means massive FUD campaigns
which leave people believing there is no alternative...
Tom te tom te tom