[LUG] Grandad is scanning in Ubuntu 7.04

Posted by "berry christopher" <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,
Just to let you know that I am happily scanning. I read that HP was more likely to
be Linux friendly than Epson so I surfed some more and found a site where it was
claimed that the HP (All-in-one) Photosmart 3170/3180 worked immediately in Ubuntu!
I purchased the 3180 from my local supermarket (guess where) this afternoon for the
princely sum of £39.99, popped it on and in less than 30 seconds Gimp was wanting
to Acquire an image which it duly did and then printed!
In Vista the whole procedure of setting up - I kid you not - took a little over a
quarter of an hour!
All I have to do is to find a suitable OCR programme that works to my needs and I
shall cast off Vista - in which I still can't 'Update' or get onto www.microsoft.com
- but who cares now!
A happy Grandad Berry!
--