Re: [LUG] What a vista!

christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "Berry Christopher" <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> A few weeks ago I admitted to buying a new computer with Windows Vista Home
> Premium pre-installed! I got a few bricks back, but what are bricks at my age to
> worry about!
> Anyway, some of you may be interested to know how I have found the new OS. The
> answer is it has been a macabre experience!
> Annoying becasue permissions are needed for most everything and decidedly slow!
> The much vaunted Media Centre has frozen three times, gone into blackout and could
> only be resolved by switching off!!
> A quiet game of solitaire has ended in the same way several times!
> To fix this I decided to 'Windows Update' only to find that I could not!!! I
> received 'error 80072EE2' everytime I tried.
> Put this error into your Yahoo or Google search box and you discover that you are
> NOT alone, in fact, you have joined a multitude!
> So I decided to go via Microsoft.com BUT I cannot get into this address either!!!
> Oh! And I use Adobe software and they are not happy together!!
> THEN via the following site - apcmag.com I found a safe way to dual boot Ubuntu
> 7.04 (AMD 64 bit) to installed Vista and it worked!
> I get the options of Ubuntu, Xp or Vista Longhoern loader!
> I will get rid of Vista when I have resolved the following problems:
> 1. I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router in the main
> lounge attached to main computer the kids use, whilst grandad is elsewhere
> connected via the USB Network Adapter, BUT though fine in Vista,it will not work
> in Ubuntu and so I am offline!!
> 2. Need to get Epson scanner 2480 to work and OCR software.
> It's been masochistic fun!
> Christopher.
> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Generated by the contributors page
> in the members area at D+C GLUG
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members/list.php
> webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I use a belkin network adapter/donngle thingy on an old omnibook laptop
running dsl. If yours is the same type of device I found that modprobing
usbcore got it to work. If this is already there maybe a copy of my
lsmod might help. You can tell imediately as the device lights up.

Simon

--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk