[LUG] Server lockups

Hello everyone.

2 days ago my server locked up. After a hard reboot it came back up
fine. Then last night it did the same thing again, but this time it took
several tries before it would boot properly.

The question is- what is causing this?

I have no idea where to start. There isn't usually a monitor or keyboard
attached either, which makes things more interesting.

Nothing appears in the logs which might give me any ideas.

I'm suspicious of a hardware fault, but I can't narrow that down either.

This is really the wrong time for me to be messing with this- I have
exams this week.

Anyone got any ideas how I might go about tracing this one?

It runs Arch Linux, with a kernel I compiled myself.

Thanks
Simon