Re: [LUG] Photography: Gimp classes

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 14:21 +0100, Simon Robert wrote:

> Exeter, I'm up for it

My wife is impressed with the GIMP and uses it on her Windows XP work
machine (she works from home). Whilst it is preferable to travel less
than to 100 or so miles to Exeter, she would do it, and stay in a local
hotel at her expense, being disabled. Obviously we are talking about a
reasonable length of day for the effort involved.

Given the amount of discussion, however intermittent, since I joined a
year or so ago, I wonder if the time is right to offer a course on the
basics of Linux, designed for (prospective) new entrants. I intend to
sound out my local Adult Ed which has a computer suite, with a view to
first determining if they would allow dual booting. This would be of
long term benefit as the computer suite is for Open Learning, accessible
by appointment. Interestingly, Cornwall College have an Open Learning
outpost a kilometer away teaching Word Processing and the like - all
with manuals on using XP.

BTW in an earlier post, an "educationalist" with teacher training
competency was suggested. Falling into that group, having worked with
teachers and trainers of different professions, I am happy to offer
support to anyone looking to design or deliver a course or teach-in of
any sort, privately or publicly as part of a team.

In delivering a Linux course for beginners, I would happily convene and
link with the relevant bodies where needed, and give sessional support,
but would need volunteers with more knowledge than I have even to
present some of the essential basics and lead the sessions. A course
could have some predetermined topics, but should quickly develop into a
support for individuals doing what they were ready for and needed for
themselves.

On the GIMP, we also have Falmouth College close by as a centre of great
potential to link with and get a foot in the door.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk