Simon Waters wrote:

> vi test.pl
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> use utf8;
>
> binmode(STDOUT,":utf8");
>
> print "£\n";
>
> In "vim" that looks like a £ sign ('cat' and 'less' want to use the
> hexagonal ? symbol).

Okay - this has stopped(!) producing the aforementioned error.

Some how the string for pound symbol was "<A3>" not "<C2><A3>". I think
the problem I have is that "<C2>" had been stripped, and that "vim" in
"vi" mode was doing something unexpected when I hit "shift-3", as it
must have thought it was already in a Unicode byte sequence, and didn't
check the sequence was properly started (or some such).

Now back to my original problem, the file name is "<A3>.htm" when it
probably ought to be "<C2><A3>.htm". Of course that is a terrible name
for a webpage -- but that isn't my problem, the code to move it around
just has to work everywhere.....

"cat" is my friend.

 Simon