Re: [LUG] Wind Turbines [was: Data centres - money mouth etc]

> So if the wings drive the windward side of the conveyor in a given
> direction, what happens with the wings on the leeward side?  Do you
> have to have some mechanism to have the wing turn around so it
> drives the leeward side in the other direction?
the blade turns 180 degrees round the end which is just what you need!
> There's also the
> possible problem that the leeward blades would always be running in
> "spoilt" air and causing drag.
You may get a throbbing/woosh woosh noise - but the displaced air would be
assisting the drive of the following blade - or if it truly is a problem then
the blades on one side could be made to feather.
> Air at ground level is fairly turbulent
> anyhow -- you'd really want to mount such a structure at least ten
> metres in the air to get reasonable extraction of energy from the
> wind.  Same problem with rooftop sites -- and if you could put, say,
> a 5m x 1m "belt" on a roof, it's probably going to be about as
> effective as a 1.25m radius propeller,
but we're talking a much cheaper device here - no precision balancing and you
dont have the inherent problems of a windmill - high speed/turbulence at the
tips.A windmill can be made 30% more efficient by adding a cowling!
 I think you could probably make this stuff, in 1m widths for about £1 per
meter - so your talking £10 (plus whatever the vertical mounting and
generators cost) against a piece of precision engineering.
 The blades for this device can be profiled so the drive comes mainly from the
middle (or wherever) and very little from the edges (for a 'free standing'
version) thus minimising any induced turbulence.

> which would be far less
> problematic to mount, I'd have thought.
A windmill on the edge of a  house roof suffers enormously from turbulence
problems due to the roof. On a simple pitched roof the wind is in more of a
laminar flow over the apex - which is where you'd stick this thing - and on
an ideal house you can stick one mount either side of the house - easy peasy!
To me it looks like its worth a try and I grant there are a lot of things to
iron out. I aint no mechanical engineer but I've seen what people did in
cotton mills 200 years ago and I bet they could have done it then.
Tom te tom te tom