Re: [LUG] Photography: Gimp classes

On Monday 28 May 2007 13:04, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Monday 28 May 2007 11:54, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > It occurs to me that there is a small business to be made out of
> > providing classes in how to use the gimp to process digital photographs.
> >
> > It requires someone who produces better photos than I, or at least
> > produces the good ones more reliably, and someone who knows the relevant
> > bits of the gimp - not the whole thing necessarily - very well, and
> > someone who can in fact teach.
> >
> > And temporarily premises.
> >

> > --
> > Adrian Midgley
> > http://osborne.defoam.net/public/images/camera/2007q2/
>
> Thats not a bad idea at all!
> heres a curriculum
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
> Tom te tom te tom

Like Tom says - its actually a very neat idea!   The OU run a photography
short course and many evening classes run basic photography classes - all
tend to require Windows and some form of photo manipulating software (the OU
course supplies Adobe Photoshop Elements).
Obviously, there is a demand for courses on photography - and, with the Gimp
being available for both Windows and Linux (not sure about Macs), that is a
good angle - distribute a disk with the Gimp on it to the Windows users (e.g
the OpenCD disk, which has other useful software too for Windows users) and
then run the course based on the tutorials and perhaps a few "personal"
tweaks.
I would be interested in attending such a course locally, as would my wife
(who is much more of a photographer than I am).

Mark