Re: [LUG] Data centres - money mouth etc

Simon Waters wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
>
>> Hinckley Point doesn't generate carbon dioxide...
>>

> I see they aren't closing it in 2011 -- hmm.
>
> Since closing the reactor at the reprocessing plant, we are burning
> fossil fuels to make fuel rods for nuclear reactors, although I'm sure
> the nuclear lobby would argue it generates more electricity than is used
> in production,
That lobby argues that rods last a long time and are just another bit of
fabrication.

> I didn't think pump storage was terribly efficient, I thought the main
> benefit is it can start quick to meet peaks in demand?!

Yes.  Efficiency doesn't matter if you have surplus power from the wind
at a given time, and continuity is of the utmost essence.

> Most of the big man made lakes on Dartmoor seem to have our drinking
> water in, and you probably shouldn't use those, then again......

the working fluid in Llanberis is heavily salted to deal with cold
conditions.

> Hmm, me I'd have pushed to develop fusion faster, rather than political
> bickering over where to put the research plants, and whether to spend
> money on it etc etc.

New technology.  The outcome appears uncertain, both fusion and a
geostationary tower are attractive, but may be impossible.
> Finally got around this weekend to sticking compact fluorescent bulbs in
> the few places the "long" compact fluorescent bulbs don't fit in the
> house. Some folks still haven't got the message that these bulbs pay for
> themselves within a very reasonable time scale (especially at the
> 98pence per bulb B&Q charge), so it is daft not to use them where they
> work/fit.

I use LED lights in a few places.  Less bright but more efficient, and
come in GU10 fittings.

> Some decisions are non-obvious - for example gas heating is slightly
> better than electric, which seems very counter intuitive to me, given
> that some electricity is nuclear or renewable, but gas heating is that
> much more efficient.
>
> I think perhaps lobbying the supermarkets not to stock the old style
> incandescent light bulbs is the way forward on lighting.

Good idea.