Re: [LUG] Data centres

On 2007-05-25T00:54+0100 James Fidell wrote:
> It would certainly be helpful if there were some sort datacentre in the
> south west from the point of view of physical access, but the only ones
> handy for me keep telling me they're full.

Which ones?

> However, people are looking for a lot of things when they choose a
> datacentre: access to telecomms services with disparate physical
> routing, preferably from different suppliers; cheap high-bandwidth
> connectivity to exchange points; cheap connectivity to large numbers
> of customers; easy physical access, to name but a few.  Devon and
> Cornwall really aren't very well placed to meet those criteria compared
> with, say, London or Manchester, though I imagine they'd win on
> comparisons of cost of staffing and offices.

Did you read my mail to the MP? The bit where I mention the very best
nodes are in Penzance? So we have *the* network point, but we've yet to
tap into it. As for electricity. It's 10 times better here than India.

As for physical access. I really don't understand how Cornwall would
fail to meet this criteria. Who cares if people up country can't make it
down here? It's for businesses in Cornwall. And as people mention on the
list, a good setup should not require some guy on site all the time. In
fact you can outsource such services (hard reboots) anyway.

> Still, if you think Cornwall is crying out for a datacentre, don't
> complain to your MP.  Find a bunch of like-minded people, preferably
> including someone with a few million to blow, set one up and watch
> the money roll in.

I think there needs to be some political will and education here. I
don't think many politicians understand the basic requirements for a
"knowledge economy". Hence the letter to Daniel.

Data centres also quite expensive to setup. More money that I have. And
some companies like Global Crossing probably need their arms twisted a
bit.