Re: [LUG] Data centres

Kai Hendry wrote:

> I've been working in the Docklands briefly. I've learnt a few new things
> and now I think that Cornwall should really have its own data centre.

It would certainly be helpful if there were some sort datacentre in the
south west from the point of view of physical access, but the only ones
handy for me keep telling me they're full.

However, people are looking for a lot of things when they choose a
datacentre: access to telecomms services with disparate physical
routing, preferably from different suppliers; cheap high-bandwidth
connectivity to exchange points; cheap connectivity to large numbers
of customers; easy physical access, to name but a few.  Devon and
Cornwall really aren't very well placed to meet those criteria compared
with, say, London or Manchester, though I imagine they'd win on
comparisons of cost of staffing and offices.

Still, if you think Cornwall is crying out for a datacentre, don't
complain to your MP.  Find a bunch of like-minded people, preferably
including someone with a few million to blow, set one up and watch
the money roll in.

James