Re: [LUG] Xterm eats my output

David Johnson wrote:

> Typing 'reset' should do the trick.

Darn, that seems better than the "stty sane" I normally use.

Sounds like something is switching off "echo", only time I've seen that
sort of thing regularly was when fiddling with printer scripts that
print through a VT terminals (which can include some well known terminal
emulators -- just what security folks hate, a little known feature where
one program allows a remote system to start controlling something local
and complicated like modern printers). As then the scripts contain
control characters, and if you "cat" the script to your terminal the
control characters take effect.

Martijn may want to note carefully when it happens, and have a play with
"cat -v" if it occurs when looking at specific files or similar. Or "cat
-v" can be applied the to output of the offending script.