Re: [LUG] Holsworthy Memorial Hall

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 09:16, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> At first glance the subject would appear irrelevant, but read on.
>>
>> Our Memorial Hall at Holsworthy has been refurbished and we are proud
>> of it. I went to the official opening day last Saturday. One of the
>> rooms has been set aside as a computer training room, so I had a chat
>> with the training manager, Geoff Matthews. Of course all the computers
>> there were set up with Vista. However I was surprised to find that
>> Geoff -
>>
>> 1. had heard about and was interested in Linux.
>>
>> 2. would be quite happy and willing to have Linux added to one of the
>> computers (to start with) but felt that he would need some assistance
>> in doing any training in Linux as he did not feel that he could do it
>> himself.
>>
> Has he got a machine we can load linux on or would he require one?
> I could get involved 'a bit' - I'm nearby!
> Might be interested in doing linux training..
>

>> So I thought, here is a golden opportunity to spread the word. Is
>> anyone else in the area interested or could help, advise? I have used
>> Linux myself for about 6 years now, but no way does that make me an
>> expert.
>>
> There is no such thing as a computer expert any more - you can be an expert in
> a small part of th field tho!

Sounds good

What office software is included,  is it possible to install
openoffice.org along side MS office.  If it can it means that a) they
can run courses using openoffice,  and give the software away for people
to use the same software at home.  Its also good for advocacy on the
alternatives.

If they are stuck with MS works,  then its an ideal opportunity,  refer
to recent thread regarding wps file formats.

Once people are using openoffice.org switching to Linux is much easier
if you are  familar with an office suite application.

Same would apply for thunderbird / Firefox.

What do you mean by Linux training exactly,  perhaps Open source
software related training sounds better,  especially as Linux is really
the kernel.

Is it possible for the lug to hold meetings at this venue,  if so and on
a regular basis,  it opens up a  whole window of opportunity for the
lug,  as meetings can be open to the public,  and perhaps we can give
demos and talks about free software issues, without being too technical
or political, raise awareness of attacks of freedom (DRM , patents etc),

If people look at openoffice.org and agree its a good piece of
software,  then its a first step on the long road to more acceptance.

for any one who  does not know where holsworthy is

*http://www.visitholsworthy.com/info.php?info=location*

*Hope this helps*

*paul*

--
Events

Linuxbierwanderung - Torbay Mini Linux Beer Hike
28th / 29th July 2007
http://www.linuxbierwanderung.org/
Follow torbay mini LBW link.

http://www.openoffice.org