Re: [LUG] Microsoft to sue!?

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Yeah, I know this comes up from time to time and it may well never
> happen, but there's an interesting article over at Forbes business
> week:
>
> http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/
>
> It's long. It's about patents and it's actually a pretty good read. In
> my opinion, or what I've read so far, they paint free software in a
> very favourable light and I think suggest that if Microsoft were to
> sue over patent infringement free software stands a good chance of
> winning any such case...
>
> Best,
>
> Jon

I came across this post on a blog concerning this
issue:

********

Mutual Assured Destruction
Submitted by Anonymous visitor on Wed, 2006-11-22
18:13.

While Microsoft is and has produced a great deal of
FUD about patent infringement, it is unlikely that
they will actually initiate any action against users
or even developers. Large companies tend to use their
portfolios of software patents as defensive weapons.
They use their portfolios to sign cross-licensing
deals with each other as a method of self-defense.
This leaves the little guys out in the cold, but even
then it would be unwise for someone like MS to go
after the little guys, because even they may have a
patent or two up their sleeves,and MS stands to loose
more than they would gain. The real threat is from
patent firms, companies that produce nothing but
acquire intellectual property. They have no products
and therfore do not infringe on anyone elses patents,
thus no counter-claims are possible to keep them in
check. Should MS start suing individual open source
developer/users, they would most likely unleash a
flood of patent lawsuits and counter-claims against
MS filed by those same developers. MS has historically
faired poorly in patent lawsuits having to cough up
millions to other firms. If big software business
thought things all the way through they would realize
that software patents are the industry's version of
mutual assured destruction (MAD), and like nuclear
weapons, its not big guys you have to fear, its the
little guys. The only real solution is complete
disarmament, get rid of software patents.

********
from
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/polls/how_long_will_microsoft_wait_before_suing