Re: [LUG] Microsoft to sue!?

On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:28:26 +0100
"Jonathan Roberts" <jonathan.roberts.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, I know this comes up from time to time and it may well never
> happen, but there's an interesting article over at Forbes business
> week:
>
> http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/
>
> It's long. It's about patents and it's actually a pretty good read.

I agree - but those who do read it should ensure that they read beyond
the first page. The headlines and FUD from Microsoft only obscure the
issue.

IMHO 238 is not a breathtaking number - especially when you consider
that Debian has 19,000 packages. It's not 238 in the linux kernel (only
42 and none of those are proven), it is 238 across maybe 23,000
packages all over the internet. See:
http://www.hezmatt.org/~mpalmer/blog/general/a_lesson_in_critical_reading.html

"Personally, I think that if Microsoft ever does starts with a patent
smackdown, it won't be 235 patents, it'll be two or three, the
strongest ones they can find, and 90 minutes after the plaintiff(s)
is/are served the infringing code will be history, and we'll go back to
living our lives as normal. That's even assuming that the patents are
legit, which is by no means a given (even with the US' insanely broad
patent provisions). As the linked article explains, the US Supreme
Court has started getting a bit noisy on the subject of over-broad and
pointless software patents, so perhaps Microsoft is just getting it's
licks in before the Supremes take it's noisy rattle away from it."

> In
> my opinion, or what I've read so far, they paint free software in a
> very favourable light

Only because of Richard Stallman's fanaticism in dealing with threats
like patents via the GPL. Some have mocked RMS for his one-track
obsession but even if you don't agree with everything he's said, you
have to acknowledge his impact on free software. Imagine what it would
be like now if we had no GPL, no gcc, no Ogg Vorbis or other free codecs
and libraries. If people had said that open-source is sufficient and
freedom wasn't important - that proprietary code is OK as long as they
are nice to us. Poppycock. Don't put up with proprietary code (like
Flash and RealPlayer), it'll be taken off you soon enough with patents
anyway so get used to the free replacements and help them to improve.

The article does set out how RMS "anticipated 20 years ago all the
threats free software faces today. Foremost among those threats,
Stallman understood, were patents."

It is better to have a machine that doesn't do everything than to have
a machine that makes you liable for a lawsuit. Whether or not the
patents are valid, individual free software developers are not going to
be able to fight the claims in court (especially as these are American
courts). Far more likely that the code will be rewritten and what
cannot be rewritten (because we don't have the source code) will be
dumped.

> and I think suggest that if Microsoft were to
> sue over patent infringement free software stands a good chance of
> winning any such case...

Not to mention that these contested patents could only be enforceable
in the USA and even in the USA the Supreme Court appears to be
backtracking over just how extensive software patents can be before
becoming unenforceable.

That and the problem that a lot of Microsoft's 'patents' were filed
very late and leave room for prior art.

Even so, the patent battle will impact on every free software user -
the more proprietary rubbish that you use, the more you will be
affected.

--

Neil Williams