Re: [LUG] Debian versions

On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:03:22 +0100
Tony Sumner <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just acquired a super laptop courtesy of the insurance company when my
> daughter dropped the old one. I have a disc with the etch iso on it that
> I used in March when etch was testing. I installed it and I was about
> to do an apt-get upgrade when I noticed that the sources.list has
>
>   deb  ...  lenny main

Debian testing forms the next Debian stable release, so Etch was Debian
testing, then it was released, so Etch is now stable. Lenny is the new
Debian testing.

> I know etch is now stable but who is lenny?

The binoculars in Toy Story - and Debian testing.

Sid never gets released so Debian unstable is always the same.

> Can I now change 'lenny'
> to 'etch' and get myself a stable distro?

Yes - although you'll be fine with Lenny. It hasn't been that long
since the Etch release so there won't be too many packages to
downgrade, should you feel the need. Personally, I'd say you will be
fine with Lenny or if you really want to go to Etch, just
change /etc/apt/sources.list and don't bother downgrading. There really
aren't that many packages to downgrade.

> Or do I have to get a new iso
> file?

No. You only ever need to install Debian once.

--

Neil Williams