Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools a case Study

> reconsidering the methods used - however, as far as I am aware, the use of
> powerpoint is still a common thing.

This is where you can push openoffice,  however I read recently the
human brain can't cope with people talking and looking at slides with
information on at the same, time.    I think the article was called
powerpointless.  So this would apply equally to impress,   unless its
all in the design of the slides.   Perhaps presentations could be used
to summerise a talk or section of a talk.   Saying that I had no problem
in canada when attending both an IBM software testing lecture, adn a
lecture on use of data recovery techniques (an area where Linux is used
extensivly)

If Openoffice can help people simply by allowing the children to
download powerpoint files,  edit adn upload again as powerpoint,  it may
lead to schools installing Openoffice,  as its inevitable the children
may forget and this will cause problems for staff,  so it will be simply
easier to move over to openoffice impress,

OTOH there is no reason why schools should not be able to use both.
Especially at secondary level.  Perhaps schools should consult the
pupils more,  on this, if compatibility is a problem this is a solution.

Paul

--
Events

Linuxbierwanderung - Torbay Mini Linux Beer Hike
28th / 29th July 2007
http://www.linuxbierwanderung.org/
Follow torbay mini LBW link.

http://www.openoffice.org