Re: [LUG] Checking on jobs

On 5/6/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2007 19:45:47 +0100
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry for such a simple question. I must be getting older than I
> thought. My memory is failing me rapidly.
>
> There is a way to see a list of jobs that are running currently.

$ ps

Or more useful:

$ ps waux

See man ps for the rest of the options.

> Then I
> can make a note of any that are causing a problem and can use kill to
> stop them. But I cannot remember the command to pull up the list.
> Can anyone remind me please? This time I will write it down.

You could also use System Monitor in Gnome and I think KDE has
something similar. The problem with a GUI monitor is that if the
process you want to kill is actually taking all the CPU time and/or
memory, then loading a GUI to kill the process isn't exactly helping
the CPU! One reason to always keep a terminal window open, I guess.

This is the first time I've heard about keeping a terminal window open.  I can imagine that this could be quite useful with unexplained hang ups but what are the real reasons and how is it done ?

Neil Williams