Re: [LUG] HTML and tabs

On 5/3/07, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have started writing a little HTML code, so I am still new to it. I
> can include a link to a URL, that's easy. Most browser have tabs
> nowadays. I am wondering if it is possible to make the link open up in
> a new tab, if the browser supports them.
>
> I have been searching around but so far no luck. Can anyone point me in
> the right direction please?

Hello Neil,

There is no such thing in HTML, for the simple reason that (the
'current' version of) HTML already was there when browsers started
using tabs. Or at least when they became popular.

There might be a solution using JavaScript -which is what Tom pointed
at- but if you've just started learning HTML, I wouldn't bother with
that (yet). Unless you really need to, of course.

It might also be wise to consider whether you want to decide for
visitors of your site where they open new links. I middle-click a link
(in Firefox) to open it in a new tab and left-click to open it in the
current one. Whatever I want depends on what I need the link for, how
many tabs I have already opened and what the weather is like outside.

There is, by the way, a way to let links open in new windows, by
writing <a href="http://www.dcglug.org.uk/"; target="_blank">a link
like this</a> and some browsers are set so that these links actually
open in a new tab. But again, would you want to decide this for your
visitors?

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck with the HTML. :)

Martijn