Re: [LUG] ncftp

On 5/1/07, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
> >
> > I am sure its somthing I am doing wrong but just cannot see what.
>
> Did you check again with FTP to see if you'd got yourself locked out due
> to repeated failures?
>
> Any odd characters in username or password?
>
> As Steve suggests - definitely the right server? Resolved IP address is
> what you expect?
>
> If it fails at login, then FTP isn't a lot different from telnet, so I
> don't think there is anything too deep happening.

Ok Thanks Steve and Simon for sugestions, a quick dsniff revealed the
problem, coffee at lunchtime did wonders.

thefatcontroller:/home/robin# dsniff
dsniff: listening on eth0
-----------------
05/01/07 13:17:29 tcp hirst-magnetics.demon.co.uk.1044 ->
mdh0.xxxxxxx.com.21 (ftp)
USER anonymous
PASS NcFTP@

it appears that the -u flag MUST be passed before the host
name/address or it is ignored. As soon as i did that it asked me for
my password and then loged in

Thanks!

--
Robin Cornelius