Re: [LUG] Debian 64 bit

On 4/30/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > is its 32 bit compatibility OK?
>
> It cross-builds 32bit without problems, other than that I haven't used
> any 32bit stuff - nor have I needed any.

This is what worries me the most as what i want to run is currently
stuck with depencies on 32bit libs active work is ongoing to sort all
this out but its a commercial program that has been GPL'd recently and
it still has some closed source deps that are going to take time to
get open source replacements working. Also its cross platform and its
massive and uses a horrible build that I can't get to compile.

Main issues we are stuck with are jpeg2000, the GPL'd jpeg 2000 lib
just dosn't quite come up to speed compared to a closed lib (although
either can now be used and work is happening to the GPL'd version to
improve) and the other big issue is sound, currenly uses a non
opensource sound library which is also the source of many crashes.

These things all take time and developer effort to put right and when
you have cross platform code this is even worse, it runs on linux (and
other unix flavors with a bit of effort), windows and mac.

Anyway I am installing on a new HD so it dosn't really matter if
things don't work out I can just stick to what I have got.

Got a bit carried away there, sorry!

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk