Re: [LUG] Little bit off topic - The ZX Spectrum is 25 today!

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Robin Cornelius
Sent: 24 April 2007 10:18
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Little bit off topic - The ZX Spectrum is 25 today!

On 4/24/07, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
> > Mark Jose wrote:

> >> Still got mine, together with the books and loads of games!
> >>
> >> Mark
> >>

> > I've got a VIC20 with manuals and software (but no tape deck) and an
> > Acorn Electron in the loft.  I also have a C64 but for some reason
> > it doesn't work.
> >
> > Maybe we should bring these old computers to a meeting.  Okay, it's
> > not Linux related but if I recall correctly, some bright spark has
> > worked out how to put an IDE interface and TCP/IP stack complete
> > with web server on a C64 (and I think something similar on an Atari
> > 8-bit and Speccy too).
> >
> > Rob

 ,  I remember someone managing
> to increase the memory on a spectrum to something like 71k,  using a
> switch,  (so keep memory refeshed, while switching to another part of
> memory or something) can't remember exactly how.

It was also possible to piggy back roms using a simple switch.

The +2a and +3 were incompatiblw with a lot of older peripherals and
software.

Piggybacking an older rom and using a switcher interface to make the bus at
the back the same as a 128 or +2 ensured full compatabilty.

The +3 also ran cpm. A precursor to dos as used on pcw machines.

This is emulated fully on the shareware xzx for linux/unix machines.

Yay got the thread back to linux.