Re: [LUG] Little bit off topic - The ZX Spectrum is 25 today!

On 4/24/07, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
> > Mark Jose wrote:

> >> Still got mine, together with the books and loads of games!
> >>
> >> Mark
> >>

> > I've got a VIC20 with manuals and software (but no tape deck) and an
> > Acorn Electron in the loft.  I also have a C64 but for some reason it
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > Maybe we should bring these old computers to a meeting.  Okay, it's not
> > Linux related but if I recall correctly, some bright spark has worked
> > out how to put an IDE interface and TCP/IP stack complete with web
> > server on a C64 (and I think something similar on an Atari 8-bit and
> > Speccy too).
> >
> > Rob
> >

> That would be cool,   tcp/ip on a speccy, ,  I remember someone managing
> to increase the memory on a spectrum to something like 71k,  using a
> switch,  (so keep memory refeshed, while switching to another part of
> memory or something) can't remember exactly how.

The hardware is simple in principle, all the memory chips sit on the
data and address bus and you just use the chip enable signals to turn
them on and off. You can even add software selectible switches,I have
done stuff a bit like this on a z80 processor, you have to create a
memory manager that can select the approprate page of memory and then
be *very* careful where you store variables and how you access memory
:-)

Its also quite possible to fit an ISP1181 USB chip to a z80 processor,
if the speccy had approprate access to IO lines this could be done to.
Although why is a different matter, lol

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk