[LUG] Fast Booting / Embedded Distro

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with embedded linux?

I'm working on a network "black box", and although i've created an
invisible capture device, it takes forever to boot.  I've been using
voyage as my platform, and am developing under the x86 but the final
job will run on an amd geode box.

I've just had a squint at the embdebian project, and am downloading
slind atm, which is the only implementation i can see (although ive
not been too thorough), but seems to weigh in at a fairly huge 370
megs - although this may install something small, downloading @ 8k/sec
atm...

Im looking for something that's real slinky booting from a flash card.

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance ;)