Re: [LUG] mini - LInux beer hike - Torbay 2007

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just looked on the
> http://www.linuxbierwanderung.org/ website for the Linux beer hike and
> noticed they do mini meets / hikes for examnple this year its in
> scotland,  this gave me the idea that we could do one in Torbay, Devon.
>
> To this end I have
>
> added their irc channel to the my xchat join list
> pending fixing,  I will sign up to the mailing list for the
> linuxbierwanderung. (which from now on will be refered to as LBW)  in
> general .
>
> Myself and tom are looking at Bank holiday monday to do a test run,
> check out the pubs, along the way, timing, route info (if its suitable
> for buggies, etc),  however main event I was thinking perhaps August, or
> July,  (probably July as we have our annual BBQ in August).  But not a
> bank holiday.  This also gives lots of time to get some free cd's
> burned, or send for ubunutu ones,  to perhaps  hand out to curious
> passers by,  (of which there may be many).
>
> Just thought on the day,  we meet up in Paignton,  then set off for
> brixham,  (I think its about 5 miles but i have no actual idea, except
> for the fact you can see Brixham from Paignton),  returning either via
> the ferry, (£5 I think) or bus (less than that),
>
> Dress code - well dress for the climate,  this may not be a laptop, type
> meet,  just a bunch of Linux people meeting, up,  if we work with the
> LBW people we could end up with lots of Linux people turn up for the
> trip,  But the more of us that wear, Linux / GNU related gear,  or
> perhaps carry stuffed penguins,  wear badges, etc etc, the better.
>
> Just thought this will make a change from our usual get together,  we
> may also get to meet with other Linux users from around the country.
>
> So is anyone up for this.
>
> I was thinking perhaps a weekend, perhaps Saturday, or maybe even a Sunday.
>
> Paul
I'd be interested in coming along, I don't have enough trips to the
pub.  July is good for me as Bank Holiday Monday in August is the day my
birthday falls on this year I think (and I'll be spending it with the
family).

It sounds like it might be a good thing for tourism too, I mean other
LUG members around the country might be looking for somewhere to get
away to for a couple of days, if we could find a reasonable cost B&B in
Paignton or Torquay we might get a few visitors to the area.

Rob