Re: [LUG] Command up upgrade from ubuntu to k/ed ubuntu was Re: Ubuntu, Kubuntu which to start with ?

Robin Menneer wrote:

> On 4/11/07, *Mark Brier (Lists)* <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>     > sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>     >
>     > turns *buntu to kubuntu
>     >
>     > sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>     >
>     > turns *buntu to xubuntu...
>     >
>     > ...etc :D
>     >
>     > Hope that helps,
>
>     It's worth noting that it does not "turn it into something else" but
>     actually becomes both, i.e. installing kubuntu-desktop on an ubuntu
>     system would give you both ubuntu and kubuntu. In fact, on one of my
>     ubuntu systems I have both kubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop
>     installed, giving me GNOME, KDE and XFCE.
> So why wasn't it like this when I got ubuntu loaded for me, giving  me
> the  choice and saving the aggrievation as to  which  version of Linux
> II should have ?

I have no idea, I didn't load Ubuntu onto your machine and I have no
idea who did.

If you mean why didn't Ubuntu give you thhe choice, it does, they
provide three seperate "distros" on three seperate CD's - Ubuntu /
Kubuntu and Xubuntu. All of these seperate distros can assume the
desktop environment of each other if the user wants.

To have all these on the same media would mean distribution on either
multiuple install CD's or an install DVD, neither which are great for
different reasons. This is however a point for Ubuntu to prove, not me.

Ubuntu asks very little questions and installs a basic, standard desktop
system. Package changes are done after install. This is their
methadology if you will. Contrast it to something on the other end of
the scale such as Suse, which asks lots of questions, and comes on
DVD/multiple-CD. You choose the software on Suse during the install.

I like the Ubuntu methadology, it allows me to build a system with
minimal time / hassle that contains *most* of what I want / need. I can
then start using the system while I choose what to install / remove.

  .~.   Mark Brier - Open Source Tech Consultant
 / v \  mark AT openitup DOT org / lists AT openitup DOT org
/( _ )\ PubKey - http://www.openitup.org/keys/markatopenitup.asc
  ^ ^   +44 (0)161 2422132 / +44 (0)7793 036840