Re: [LUG] Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 released

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 10:42, Neil Williams wrote:

> I've now done four upgrades from various directions, including Sarge
> to Etch and Sid to Etch. The easiest one was my own
> server - I simply changed /etc/apt/sources.list and cron-apt did the
> rest. (And yes, it is still running - it's running the DCGLUG website!)

Well I bit the bullet and did the upgrade from Sarge to Etch yesterday... only
a few significant issues which I'll run through for anyone who's yet to do
it.

Apache was broken after the upgrade due to two modules being removed from the
new version of Apache (these were core modules, not extra ones I installed)
and their config files not being purged (so it was still trying to load
them).

Note also that if you run Apache with SSL and certificates protected with a
passphrase (i.e. Apache normally asks you for a passphrase when it is
started) the upgrade process will stall when it tries to restart Apache
during the glibc upgrade, as it doesn't prompt you for the passphrase but
it's still waiting for it. Really clever to prompt the user for a passphrase
when not attached to a terminal... you'll need to log-in to the physical
machine (ssh won't work at this point) and kill the Apache start-up scripts
for the upgrade to continue.

nut (Network UPS Tools) was broken due to changed permissions on serial ports
(probably due to the installation of udev). Solution is to add the nut user
to the dialout group.

fetchmail was broken due to a change in config file format affecting the way
maildrop works (anyone not using maildrop should be OK).

I had no issues with the following: Postfix, amavisd-new, clamav,
spamassassin, mailman, squid, mysql, Samba, inetd services.

All-in-all the upgrade wasn't too bad. No need to reboot and everything is
working fine now. I've reported the first apache issue as a bug and the nut
issue is already fixed in unstable, so hopefully these will be fixed in Etch
soon.

Regards,
David.

--