Re: [LUG] Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 released

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:25:19PM +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:
> On 4/8/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/debian-announce-2007/msg00002.html
> >Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:15:36 +0200
> >
> >The Debian Project is pleased to announce the official release of Debian
> >GNU/Linux version 4.0, codenamed "etch", after 21 months of constant
> >development.  Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system which supports
> >a total of eleven processor architectures and includes the KDE, GNOME
> >and Xfce desktop environments.  It also features cryptographic software
> >and compatibility with the FHS v2.3 and software developed for version
> >3.1 of the LSB.
[...]
> For whom is this package intended ?  Is it the newest thing since sliced
> bread ? Or is it a product of wonderful enthusiasm and I'm better sticking
> with my Ubuntu.  I don't want to change for the sake of merely keeping up
> with the Jones.  Certainly I don't want python or perl.

For anyone currently using an older version of Debian. There's no great
reason to switch from Ubuntu to Debian that didn't exist before, and I
won't get into the benefits of each. It is an improvement over the
previous version of Debian, though.

If you have Ubuntu currently, though, you already have Perl, since it's
used by a lot of system software. You probably have Python, as well,
since certainly Gnome and plenty of other things depend on it.

        bma