Re: [LUG] Making sure your memories are safe

stinga wrote:
> On 03/04/07 09:53:40, Simon Robert wrote:
>> And I have heard interviews with historians who are seriously worried
>> that the digital age will not be accessable in the same way the
>> paper/clay/papirus eras are.
>>
>> Simon
>
> I am not surprised, have you tried to store a 9gb film on papyrus? :-)
>
> I suppose historians will be worried, I mean anyone will be able to
> look at them without having to make appointments and wear white gloves,
> just think of all those jollys they will be deined having to fly to
> another part of world just to look at a document!
> If I was a historian, I would be worried, it would be much harded for
> me to build a power empire...
>
> :-)
>
> BTW: I do know what you mean.

It is an interesting thought though:-  Recovering old harddrives, from
presumably landfill, and trying to reconstruct the data.  I doubt the
success rate would be high but it could provide a unique insight into
peoples' personal lives.

Another thought is that we tend to think of our modern lives being so
well documented that there will be nothing left to find out.  However,
if this information is stored on archaic medium (from a future point of
  view) will it be that easy to read.

Perhaps because we do think of the records being so extensive and well
kept we take less care of the data?

To digress even further, there are many biographies containing the
letters and diaries of people - which I have always thought a bit odd,
do these people know that they are going to be great, so have to keep
all their correspondence.  However, how will there be something similar
with emails and electronic diaries in the future?  Are the great and the
good all ready preparing to bequeath their electronic correspondence to
a grateful nation?

It keeps me awake at night!

W.