Re: [LUG] Making sure your memories are safe

On 4/2/07, Alan <ap@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > AFAICT, there is no format or archived media that cannot be read today,
> > even ones that are already 50 years old. There will always be
> > archivists and historians who will seek to use the old formats and that
> > can keep the codec alive. As long as one person is interested in the
> > format, the source code remains available and it can be updated to
> > whatever is around at the time.
> >

> so can you help me get some photos off some 5.25" floppies I have stored
> away?

Do you have a 5.25" drive? i assume not as you are asking. I do have
one somewhere here

> The format may be OK, but the media may not. And I'm old enough to have
> some 8" floppies with interesting stuff on them.

My BBC micro games still run of the 5.25" disk, as long as you didn't
bend them in half they were not that bad.

Might have somthing to do with the data density is so low you can
almost see the magnetic bits with the naked eye (joking)

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk