Re: [LUG] Making sure your memories are safe

On 4/2/07, Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
can we really know that ogg vorbis, or any other codec free or not, will
be around in 50 years time?

Why would it not be? AFAIK VLC supports every codec since the beginning of time and it's only a few years old, so it seems likely that newer projects will support piles of codecs as well.

And if it is will be compatable with an
ancient version? If Your great grandson comes accross a box of CDs in
the attic will there be hardware he can look at the stuff on, software
he can read them with?

The compact disc may be the most popular audio recording medium ever produced, so as long as optical drives exist I suspect they'll be readable...

This isn't really a open source v closed issue. Its about technological
change and the problems future social historians are going to have. OK
today I can probably find a PC that'll read a "floppy"  (ie 5 inch hard
plastic thing) disc, but I'm not sure how I'd be able to read a floppy
floppy disc?

A 5" hard plastic thing? They were floppy.
You can still buy machines that will read 5.25" floppy discs into an ordinary floppy port or perhaps an ATA one, so I see no reason to suppose that the compact disc will have become entirely historical by 20 years after its obsoletion ( i.e. 2015)...

--
Ben Goodger
#391382