Re: [LUG] What open source contributions have you made this week?

Mark Jose wrote:

> Nothing quite so important myself- I couldn't code "Hello World"!

Shouldn't let that stop you.  I've explained problems and provided
pseudo-code "fixes" for broken applications in languages I don't code
in before now.  I've been using cobbler recently for provisioning
"blade" systems on demand and can find the bugs but don't know the
syntax to fix them (it's written in python).

I'm currently bug-hunting in mythtv -- there's an obscure problem that
causes it to crash for me once every few weeks (v0.20, that is; v0.19
has been utterly stable for me for a few years), though I've not been
able to work out why yet.  I suspect it may be an initialisation problem
as building everything for debug seems to make the problem go away, so
it's tricky even working out what causes the crash in the first place.

Other than the BBC Micro emulator I wrote, my largest open source
contribution is probably to INN, which I hacked about with a fair bit
in the days when I was a newsmaster and cared about USENET.

One of my favourites though has to be fixing a bug in one of Alan Cox's
NIC drivers some time in the early/mid-90s.  I'd installed either SLS or
a very early Slackware on a machine at work and the network card kept
dying.  Took me quite a while to find and correct the problem, even if
the kernel sources did fit on a single 1.44MB floppy at the time, but
was pleasing to submit a patch to him and have it accepted.

One of the most frustrating was tracking down a bug in the JFS code,
only to find out that the problem was already known to a "small" group
of people and had been fixed, but the fix hadn't made it to a
distributed kernel yet.

James