Re: [LUG] RxTx on Ubuntu

On 3/27/07, Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2007 21:49, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > cat /dev/ttyS0 &
> > echo you smell > /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > will work as well enough won't it?
> Hi
>
> No it does not?  However I found an old modem, and though I can not remember
> to commands when I enter cat /dev/ttyS0 The terminal ready light comes on.
>
> Which must prove something!

A step in the right direction

You will (probably) not be able to communicate from the command line
without configuring the port with setserial .

Might be easier to use minicom

from the terminal use "minicom -m" (if i don't use m i can't get to
the minicom menus)

It will say "initalising modem" then go to a blank (ish) screen. To
set the options press ALT+O, goto serial port setup. Press A and
change to /dev/ttyS0, probably want to turn off Hardware flow control
(option F) and you can get the baudrate with opton E. Press enter
after making a change and ESC will back up the menus.

Thinking about it when initalsing modem it might auto detect your
modem and you should see LED's flashing anyway.

You then should be able to set AT commands to the modem or if you have
pins 2 and 3 shorted it should echo as a loopback.

Good luck!

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk