Re: [LUG] GNU Make help

On Friday 23 March 2007 15:48, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Anybody good at GNU make makefiles, its driving me *nuts*
>
> All i want to do is build some kernel modules "out of tree"
>
> I have a package at http://www.byteme.org.uk/rt2x00pack.tar.bz2
>
> To actually build requires kernel source installed and kernel >= 2.6.18
>
> Idea is to run:-
>
> make patch_mac80211
> make setup_mac80211
> make
>
> Make should build the kernel modules in net/wireless and net/mac80211
> and drivers/net/wireless/mac80211/rt2x00
>
> I had things *almost* working, i had the mac80211 and wireless
> building, then everything stopped and now it will not build those
> targets. I know the problem is my knowledge of makefiles and it was
> only just building by winging it before but any help to sort this mess
> out please!
>
> Many thanks
I haven't played with it but an important thing to remember is that make only
'makes' things that need making.
If nothing in the list of things used to build something, and a version of
that something exists then it will not be bovered and not build it.
You can try deleting some of the targets, or alternatively 'touch'ing the
source files and trying again
Tom te tom te tom