Re: [LUG] BT broadband

Folks,
20070323
I know its a bit late to reply: However I have had BT broadband for
about 4 years and it works on Linux as well as on Windows.
Their set up disc only works with Windows but an email to them gets the
set up data.

Note; Sometimes you must load connect data programs  offline from CD
even though they say connect to internet before loading.
Why this error I do not know, but I suspect it tries to update some
programs by download before it loads others causing must conflict and
confusion.
Loads when connected to internet on Dells(laptops) but loads  only when
unconnected on HP machines ( why I do not know)

OSs connected directly to BT are:
SuSE 9 originally , now  to now 10.2
Ubunto last 3 versions
SLAX all versions since 2005.
Other versions: Puppy (old 1997 computer)
Knoppix since version 2, now 5.1 (works on all computers as diagnostic
and back up Live  Distro
Win XP pro (never used Home, so do not know about it))
Win 98.x

Note: They have no idea of support data at technical level for Linux,
and even on Windows below that of normal Linux experienced person.

However:
In all this time only one day with problems, due  fire at an
interconnect exchange.

Remember they are by regulation/law they not allowed to charge below the
competition, so price wise you cannot compare apples with apples.
The ability to have service  almost continuously is the most important
thing.

I am on the basic cost offer at all times.

Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  Tel. +44 (0) 1925762873

Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic. If
you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.