Re: [LUG] BT broadband

On 3/20/07, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 12:37 +0000, feeds@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Before I do the deed, does anyone else use BT broadband, and is their router
> > okay with Linux? I plan to download Suse once I get broadband :)
> I use Demon and I am very happy, though I am increasingly seeing "failed
> requests" (a small number daily - usually 0 but up to 12 at 1 minute
> intervals) using https://www.bello-monitors-the.net Their telephone and
> email helplines are legendary. Instant help, even if not using their
> free bog-standard router. I have a Draytek Vigor 2600 (54 Mbps) wireless
> router which is easy to set up, if you know how. Very occasionally it
> needs a reboot, which Demon helped me with the first time. From the
> little I have heard about BT this level of assistance and uptime.
>
> Most people seem to avoid the free, basic routers.

The Draytek routers are technicaly nice, they are ugly, but seem to be
more reliable than some of the off the shelf at PC world varity. I
have never had to reboot mine and its been connected for 2 years? now.
If i loose ADSL (very very rare) it always reconnects. The VPN server
features are also a big plus for remote logons and support a varity of
protocols including pure ipsec which is the original reason for
getting mine.

Demons network and technical staff are very good, my greviences with
some of there admin staff have been previously voiced.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk