Re: [LUG] PDA's

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:37:59 +0000
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know little about them so I am looking for advice please.
>
> PDA's and other small hand-helds which run on Linux. Which ones should
> I be considering please?

1. Size is critical. If by PDA you mean something the size of a Palm,
you need to wait for a linux kernel Palm device but pilot-link and
pilot-qof provide data access, queries and data conversion / export.

2. If by PDA you mean something the size of a PocketPC/iPAQ, Zaurus or
similar, you can work with the WinCE and GNU/Linux software or you can
either choose a Zaurus to have GNU/Linux installed or install it
yourself on an iPAQ. See Familiar.

Palm still have not released the full spec of their v5 OS so do NOT
expect Palm's running OS5 (i.e. recent ones) to be fully supported. The
basics will work but things like birthdays and reminders often do not.

3. If by PDA you actually mean a PDA/phone, then you need to proceed
very carefully - there are devices that are supported, there are
devices that run GNU/Linux but getting exactly what you want is likely
to be easier the longer you wait. There is a LOT of development in this
area of GNU/Linux and projects like openmoko, greenphone and others are
likely to make things much easier in the future.

--

Neil Williams