Re: [LUG] Tax Return Software

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:59:55 +0000
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 10:40 +0000, William Fidell wrote:
> > it
> > is mainly aimed at the US but does mention UK returns
> The beauty of Taxcalc is you can upload it directly to the inland
> revenue and it is tailored to each year's rules. Perhaps Wine???

No need. TaxCalc is behind the times - I had to wait months before the
release was updated and every year they wanted more and more money for
each version. IMHO there is no need for TaxCalc or a free replacement -
all the functionality is already available at the HMRC website and the
submission process has worked faultlessly on Galeon/Firefox
for at least three years.

I can't say the same for TaxCalc - I stopped using it when it
repeatedly FAILED to submit to HMRC (IR at the time). I printed out
the tax calculations, entered the same figures into the website and it
submitted perfectly.

Honest, you don't need TaxCalc or a free software replacement. All you
need is to understand what TaxCalc does and then make the same entries
in the website. You still get the same calculation summary and it never
costs you anything.

Even if you think you must use TaxCalc, don't fork out for a new
version, run an old version to get the figures if you must - then enter
the figures into the website and get the real calculation.

BTW. When I tried TaxCalc could not submit tax return data to the HRMC
via Wine.

--

Neil Williams