Re: [LUG] Linux-friendly web cams

On Friday 16 March 2007 08:01, Tom Potts wrote:
> Anyone seen a wireless webcam with night light so I don't have to crawl out
> of bed several times to see if my sheep are in labour. And they're in a tin
> shed so an external aerial might help.
> Mind you if the missus catches me on the laptop at 4 in the morning I could
> be in trouble....
> Tom te tom te tom

Actually Tom, just thought -
it might be worth emailing the guy who runs the webcam at Saltash Community
School - they have a 24/7 cam running there which used to watch a pig and her
piglets but now watches sheep and lambs in an enclosure - which sounds
similar to what you are after. They may be able to supply some ideas. From
memory, they used an Axis webcam - not cheap but very good!

The guy you want is Dave Garland - his email is on the site -
http://www.saltash.cornwall.sch.uk/pigcam.htm

Axis, if you want a look at the sort of thing they offer are at -
http://www.axis.com/uk/

Although their software is Windows only, the cams work with Motion - which is
a great program for motion detecting (but not a lot of use for lambs I
expect!)

Mark