Re: [LUG] Linux-friendly web cams

On Friday 16 March 2007 08:01, Tom Potts wrote:
> Anyone seen a wireless webcam with night light so I don't have to crawl out
> of bed several times to see if my sheep are in labour. And they're in a tin
> shed so an external aerial might help.
> Mind you if the missus catches me on the laptop at 4 in the morning I could
> be in trouble....
> Tom te tom te tom

I would have a look at security cameras rather than webcams for this perhaps.
Many webcams are easy enough to convert to infra red (for night vision), but
they need external IR LEDs to operate, or a low level normal light source,
such as those solar garden lights for example.
Security cameras designed for night time generally have built in IR LEDs. The
problem with those is that they generally require connecting to a video
machine or a tv card in your PC. On the plus side, there are wireless
security cameras, but I have not used one so I have no idea how they
interface with a computer or not.
Not tried converting a wireless webcam myself, mostly due to the cost of the
cam in the first place - I generally experiment with the cheap and cheerful
cameras - but the basic idea is similar in most cams. A wireless one would
possibly present more of a challenge as the case would contain wiring for the
wireless side of things as well.

Mark