Re: [LUG] Wireless

On Monday 12 March 2007 09:32, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2007 08:31, David Brook wrote:
> > We have had very limited success with wireless LANS using soho components
> > full stop.
> >
> > We have had issues with flakey connections, transfer rates and disastrous
> > range  restrictions.
>
> Strange thins do happen - I can get my 11b working with 60/92 in my living
> room, as can a friend on her laptop but her boyfriends laptop wont connect
> even if we tell it the channel/ssid etc, yet that works at a greater
> distance outside. Mind you those people who advertise wireless and show
> people working in the garden on a sunny day should be sued. Need a hood to
> use mine on a sunny day which kinda defeats the object
>
> > This has occurred independently of the underlying OS being run by the
> > network hosts.

Another example - my daughters boyfriend just bought a new laptop with
wireless built in. He bought a nice new wireless router to go with it and,
being aware of the dangers, he set wpa-psk encryption up. The laptop cannot
connect to the web if he uses the encryption at all! He brought the laptop
here - we also use wpa-psk - and it works fine (once I entered the passkey
etc).  All 54g stuff, so not an issue there.
So it seems not all wireless kit is compatible - which is stupid frankly.
Interestingly, the rt2500 chipset driver I use for my own laptop works
perfectly, yet the same card, when used on my wifes Windows laptop is quite
flakey at times - regularly dropping the signal. We have several pcmcia cards
and usb sticks which all respond the same - fine in Linux, hit and miss in
the Redmond OS.

Mark