Re: [LUG] Wireless

On Monday 12 March 2007 08:31, David Brook wrote:
> We have had very limited success with wireless LANS using soho components
> full stop.
>
> We have had issues with flakey connections, transfer rates and disastrous
> range  restrictions.
Strange thins do happen - I can get my 11b working with 60/92 in my living
room, as can a friend on her laptop but her boyfriends laptop wont connect
even if we tell it the channel/ssid etc, yet that works at a greater distance
outside. Mind you those people who advertise wireless and show people working
in the garden on a sunny day should be sued. Need a hood to use mine on a
sunny day which kinda defeats the object

> This has occurred independently of the underlying OS being run by the
> network hosts.
>
> I haven't ever got to the bottom of it and vastly prefer good old fashioned
> cable.
Cable is generally a lot easier to manage once installed - however I've just
lost 2 adaptors and as ADSL box through lightning while the wireless remained
untouched. So I've now got the strange problem of installing a PCI lan card
so I can connect to the wireless through my laptop so I can download the
drivers to get the usb wireless adaptor that I got free with the new ADSL
wireless box to replace the above working can I breathe now please?
Tom te tom te tom