[LUG] Patent lunacy

Original blog post:
http://blog.digital-scurf.org/life/sometimes-patents-amuse.html
referring back to http://gerald-duck.livejournal.com/

(Yes, I know it's taken a while for me to notice this one. . . been
busy!)

Tue, 21 Nov 2006
Sometimes, patents can amuse…

Courtesy of Clive I was pointed at this patent which at first glance
looks to be as obscure and impenetrable as one has grown to expect from
a system which was meant to be for patently clear descriptions.

However, check out claim 9, as Clive said on IRC, for the patent
attorney to include it in the first place is cunning; for the inventor
to miss it is careless and embarassing for them; but for the attorney
to leave it in when filing is just broken. However the clincher is that
for the patent clerk to have passed this just indicates how little care
is taken and how one can probably get just anything patented if it’s
hidden in the midst of a load of legalese.

Linked patent:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220040161257%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20040161257&RS=DN/20040161257

or
http://tinyurl.com/yb3bj3