Re: [LUG] Which ISP?

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:54:48 +0000
john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have as ISP BTconnect and pay £105.71 per Quarter for up to 2 MB due to the
> distance from the exchange.

Ouch! You should get a price around £58 per quarter, £18 per month or
less.

> I am happy with BTconnect as an ISP but wonder whether the cost is not too high.
> My connection is a business account and alternative ISPs seem all to be for
> private/home use.

So? It's only a connection. They don't care whether you put a router or
a modem at the other end, how many machines are sharing the business
connection? What's the point of a business account? Paying 40% more in
order to get a 20% tax rebate is just illogical! Even if you are a
higher rate tax payer, it makes no sense to pay extra for the privilege
of getting it discounted from your tax.

> I like the unlimited use I have as it means I do not have to worry about exceeding
> a limit.

Limited broadband has all but disappeared, despite the adverts that try
to say it is commonplace. If you pay monthly, you shouldn't put up with
broadband limits - the only issue is contention, how many other
subscribers share your connection upstream.

--

Neil Williams