Re: [LUG] Custom dmrc entry?

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:10:38 +0000
David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 February 2007 14:25, Grant (DCGlug) wrote:
> >
> > And now I've fixed it.  Added a new file in /usr/share/xsessions
> > called "MythTV.desktop" with the following content:
> >   [Desktop Entry]
> >   Encoding=UTF-8
> >   Name=MythTV
> >   Comment=This session logs you into MythTV
> >   Exec=/usr/bin/mythfrontend
> >   # no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
> >   Icon=
> >   Type=Application
> > Chose this from the gdmgreeter, made it the default and now it's
> > working nicely. :)
> >

> If you're going to be using MythTV to play DVDs (which MythTV does by
> calling an external application) you'll find that you need to run it
> within a window manager to, um, manage the windows. When I had a
> dedicated mythfrontend, I used ratpoison [1] which worked well.
>
> Regards,
> David.
>
> [1] http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/

Thanks for the advice, David.  The machine in question actually doesn't
have a DVD drive, and I don't envisage myself adding one.  The primary
purpose of this project was because I can, and to put a use to the
machine which *was* running as my webserver.  I have a fair number of
MP3/OGG files on my server, and an increasing number of DivXs... it
would just be nice to have these playing through a quiet computer in
the living room rather.

Cheers though. :)

--Grant