Re: [LUG] some firewall test results

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:50:43 +0000
> Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2007/02/15/evaluating_firewalls.html
>
> One thing that *really* bugs me about things like this is when they
> call things like the Cisco PIX a "hardware firewall" and things like
> Smoothwall a "software firewall".  All firewalls are software
> firewalls, dammit!

I tend to use the term "software firewall" to refer to products that are
installed on a box with other tasks, as opposed to a dedicated firewall.
Tools like the Norton stuff, or the IPTables based tool that comes with
Redhat that lets you lock down the other ports (just in case).

I'm surprised at the lack of products tested, I'm guessing they tested
what they had to hand?!

When I sold firewalls professional CISCO PIX sucked, and I expect they
still do. They sold because ISP and phone companies had contracts with
Cisco, on which they got a good price, and could order them easily. They
had bad proxies (you still find sites getting email problems due to
their SMTP proxy!), nightmarish configuration, and well they came from
Cisco (read scary order process - Cisco generally do good engineering,
you just don't want to have to drive a lot of their kit, unless you have
IQ points spare - I've even had to "interpret" Cisco documentation to
Cisco certified engineers!?!).

The tests are of limited value, whilst it is great to be able to defend
against flooding attacks, there is only marginal value in it, since most
people who can flood you, can arrange to eat all your bandwidth anyway.

Similarly they don't document configuration, or other details of how
Smoothwall failed. I'm no fan of smoothwall, but it could well be it
failed because the network driver for that card created too many
interrupts, or some other minor issue. Which is why I usually recommend
people buy dedicated off-the-shelf firewalls, not because they are
better, but because there are less details for the purchaser to worry about.