Re: [LUG] KNetworkManager - Meeting on Thursday

On 20/2/2007, "Peter Lloyd-Jones" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a lappy  running Ubuntu and KNetworkManager.  It used to work and I
>could use my wireless connection.  Now it does not start properly and goes
>promptly to sleep.  However if I run Sabayon,(from a disk)  KNetworkManager
>does work and I get my wireless.
>
>I feel (hope) that this is one of those silly little things that some one in
>the know will be able to sort in seconds,  so I will bring my lappy along to
>the meeting.
>
>I have not even looked at my Stylus Pen yet, perhaps Ben will the there!
>
>Peter
>

>--

>>From the Debian Network-Manager docs in /usr/share/docs/network-manager:
NetworkManager consists of two parts: one is on the system level daemon
that
manages the connections and gathers information about new networks. The
other
is a systray applet that users can use to interact with the NetworkManager
daemon.

Security
~~~~~~~~
To allow users to connect to the NetworkManager daemon they have to be in
the
group "netdev". If you want to add a user to group "netdev" use the
command
"adduser username netdev" or one of the graphical user management
frontends.
After that you have to reload D-Bus with the command "/etc/init.d/dbus
reload".

--Grant